ORTHOVISC® (High Molecular Weight Hyaluronan) is a treatment made from ultra-pure hyaluronan, a naturally occurring lubricant found in healthy knee joints. This knee pain injection is also the only treatment providing up to six months of pain relief that does not come from avian sources. This means that ORTHOVISC® will not cause an allergic reaction if you suffer from avian allergies.
ORTHOVISC works as a series of knee injections to restore healthy fluid to your knee joint. Given as one injection per week for three or four consecutive weeks, ORTHOVISC® can relieve your knee pain for up to six months. While individual results may vary, some people feel pain relief after the first knee injection.
Through the process of viscosupplementation, ORTHOVISC® injections provide osteoarthritis knee pain relief by directly addressing the source of the problem-the lack of healthy joint fluid-rather than the more temporary symptom relief provided by pain management drug therapy.
Several unique characteristics help ORTHOVISC® stand above other available viscosupplementation injection treatment options:
Possible side effects
- ORTHOVISC® offers up to six months of osteoarthritis pain relief.
- ORTHOVISC® is given as one injection per week for three or four weeks, with some patients experiencing osteoarthritis pain relief after the first injection.
- ORTHOVISC® is derived from bacterial cells, not rooster combs or other avian sources. This makes ORTHOVISC the only non-avian sourced viscosupplementation injection with proven pain relief for up to six months, so patients with avian allergies (like allergies to poultry, feathers or eggs) do not need to worry about an allergic reaction.
- ORTHOVISC® is the only injection made from ultra-pure hyaluronan, a naturally occurring lubricant found in healthy joints. In fact, ORTHOVISC has the highest concentration of hyaluronan among all FDA-approved viscosupplements.
- When compared to other viscosupplementation injection treatment options, ORTHOVISC® most closely matches the natural, healthy joint fluid in your knee.
The most commonly reported side effects are joint pain, back pain and headache. Others include temporary pain at the injection site. ORTHOVISC® treatment should not be given to patients with infections or skin diseases in the area of the injection site.